Writing is a safe-haven. It's a listener when all friends are gone. People write to try and make sense of their thoughts as it's an organized way of thinking. People write to keep records; they want their stories and feats to be remembered and they themselves strive to remember. Writing also serves as a connection with others. Someone across the globe experiencing the same experience can write in a such a way that makes others feel less alone. It's motivating to know others can associate with your own life. One can "earn" the title of a writer by simply writing. However, one cannot force a true writer to write; they have to want to write. They have to find that motivation in themselves. Additionally, each prompt has to have a level of meaning and thought. It's the writer's job to convince the reader a subject has a meaning, and the reader should allow the reader's to interpret the subject in a multitude of ways. Readers should never read a paragraph and think, "There was absolutely no point to that." A writer knows how to interest others while speaking about what they believe in. He shouldn't write about something he thinks interests others if it doesn't interest himself. Where's the passion in that?
I honestly don't choose books by authors. However, some writing styles I've enjoyed while reading certain books include that of J.K. Rowling, Ray Bradbury, Agatha Christie, and my best friend Christine. Both my best friend Christine and J.K. Rowling have the talent of descriptive writing, something I wish I had. I remember reading a paper Christine did on a day we spent with some friends. She wrote in a such a way that made me feel I was right back in that day, having a great time. Not only did she remind me of the detailed events, but she reminded me of my feelings and every aspect of the day. I yearn for that talent. J.K. Rowling had me immersed in Harry Potter. I had a precise image of Hogwarts, Harry, and every other magical element to the novels. I think the best part was talking to other people about what they imagined in their heads, and learning that they saw the same concept but in different ways. With Agatha Christie and Ray Bradbury, I desired their brilliance. Unfortunately, the only books I've read by the two are And Then There Were None and Fahrenheit 451. But both amazed me in the same way the Harry Potter books had me under a spell. The brilliance of mystery itself impacted me. Everything Christie wrote had to be meticulously thought out and every detail accounted for. What amazed me the most was the fact she aligned it with the poem, "Ten Little Soldiers." She clearly had a passion for plotting out uncanny situations, and it speaks impressively through her work. Bradbury's figurative language, although sometimes confusing, provokes depths of thought. Some concepts he presented in the novel made me stay up and think at night.
I believe I am a writer, and I can sometimes be a good one. I believe 'writer' is part of my identity because I only consider the pieces that I feel passionate about to be good work, and I am unashamedly selective with what I am passionate about. I believe you should be selective, as passions are things that stand out to you, and things that move you. If everything moved you, you'd be a pretty unstable. Further, I learned to write through doing. I figured out my style and organization patterns and just stuck with it. I am a passionate writer depending on the topic, but I think for the most part I'm quite analytical. I tend to over analyze things and try to make sense of everything.
I like to do writings analyzing whys of books, and I also like papers that force you to argue one side. I feel as though I can write with an urgency and anger that conveys my thoughts passionately and assertively. I fear and am required to do descriptive writing. I find it hard to visualize something and write every detail, because I feel like my organization patterns disappear.
Despite the length, I genuinely enjoyed this experience. This made me analyze my writing style and writing itself, so I felt I could passionately and confidently convey my thoughts. I was scared I couldn't write with enough depth, but I think I tried my best to cover all my thoughts in a way that others could relate to.
No comments:
Post a Comment