Monday, September 8, 2014

Entry para Viernes, Cinco de Septiembre

"'Americans' shadow-boxing a ghost wearing red, white and blue yet you can only be white, work until your red, and die blue as the bag of  freedom suffocates you."

     I love the creative use of the colors of the flag.  Originally, these colors symbolize beautiful, patriotic concepts such as freedom and purity.  However in the same way the author put quotes on 'America', he/she seemingly puts quotes on the beautiful concepts like freedom as freedom only comes to those who are white.  She poses the question, "What is freedom or purity?"  I also love how he/she emphasizes the thought that the life of an "American" encompasses primarily work; a lack of living the dream void of work exists.  Additionally, I liked the subtle end rhyme.  It built intensity and rhythm.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the colors of the American flag represents positive side, but in this poem, the author changed our perspective. Shocking truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha, I like how your analysis was deep and creative. I honestly never thought that critically about that line in the poem until you stated your opinion.

    ReplyDelete