Since I can remember, my mom always enforced that "honesty is the best policy". Through my middle school and high school years, I still hold this to be true. To lie someone would be to commit a grave crime. However, withholding the truth without lying can act as a great savior. Telling the truth surely depends on the circumstances of the situation.
Many children anticipate the mounds of gifts they will receive from Santa on Christmas Eve. The children's hearts are filled with hope and wonder as to how Santa can travel the entire world in one day. It would seem like a murder to kill the innocence of these children. In these circumstances, telling the truth would not benefit the morals of the children who believe in Santa. Instead, it would crush a childhood so longed for by many adults.
To give an opposite situation, let's pretend a dear friend has an adulterous husband. One cannot lie to the friend, especially if the friend suspects the affair. Under this circumstances, telling the truth would be the best route, even if one becomes a carrier of bad news.
Altogether, however, lying, not simply with holding the truth, is a selfish act. People lie to save themselves from explaining, or to save themselves from the trouble of getting in trouble, and in this case lying is always unacceptable.
Good evening, I just read your article. I have to say this because as I was reading it I was wondering if you were saying that it is acceptable then again it's not. Confused. However, since I know you, I know what you mean. I don't really think your second example was necessary, but overall the message was received, DON'T LIE [to Sam].
ReplyDeleteP.s Id like to make the suggestion of writing the topic in uhm I don't know English, probably because this class specializes in that subject, also because I always feel like I switched the language in my settings on my phone when I read it. Confused.
^ No. Spanish is cool.
ReplyDelete